BCHC History

1940’s

CITY CLINIC

 

Located in the City Hall building, back then BCHC was known as the City Clinic, where a group of local health care professionals volunteered their time and expertise to provide health care to those who could not otherwise afford it. The City and County healthcare that was being delivered in the 1940s was primarily immunization, well child visit and prenatal care. These services operated under the Fort Brown Complex.

1950’s

FORT BROWN COMPLEX

 

The City and the County joined forces sharing the cost for these services. The City-County clinic relocated their services to a facility downtown – on Madison Street. Full-time staff was also located in the Army Barracks at the Fort Brown Complex

1960’s – 1970’s

BROWNSVILLE COMMUNITY
HEALTH CENTER TRANSITION

 

The City and the County began to look at expansion of services. In the late 1970s, the City and County split forces. Later the City began to look for funding and formalizing for what was to become the Brownsville Community Health Clinic Corp. Up until that point, services were being provided by local physicians.

1980’s

FULL TRANSITION

 

Early 1980s, BCHC received the first grant from the National Health Service Corp and the U.S. the Department of Health, Education and Welfare. In the late 1980s, upon separation from the City of Brownsville, BCHC as a standalone entity, continued to operate in the City property, made some renovations and added administrative functions.On June 9, 1987, the BCHC Board of Directors requested approval for a total separation from the City of Brownsville. On October 1st, 1987 BCHC became a separate entity from the City.

1990’s

NEW SITES

 

BCHC grew exponentially and opened several clinic sites including Campus Care Center. At the same time, BCHC closed the maternity birthing center due to the advent of Medicaid services being available (statistically, it appeared that the community was more prone to deliver their babies in a hospital setting).

2000’s

NEW CLINICS

 

BCHC expanded services and opened a clinic at Cameron Park and (Little) New Horizon Clinic providing Adult medicine. While providing services to local colonias, it was also a place for students from UTMB – Galveston to get clinical experience. The reality was we were looking for ways to see more patients and thereby increase revenues. A property on Price Road was available and we were able to invest in it.

2010 – PRESENT

STILL GROWING, STILL CARING

 

In 2010 BCHC break ground to construct a 47,000 sq. ft. facility.  On August 2011, a state of the art complex was inaugurated providing the community with a variety of medical and health support services.  BCHC staff has grown to 241 employees, with 17 medical doctors, 11 mid-level practitioners, 3 licensed professional counselors and 2 dentists and 2 hygienists.  On site ancillary services include a CLIA certified laboratory, radiology, a Class A pharmacy, social services, case management, patient education and eligibility assistance.  In 2022 the BCHC Eye Clinic was added and expanded psychiatry and behavioral health services.  Currently, BCHC serves close to 20,000, with an average of 4 visits per patient. 

Awards Received

BCHC has received numerous recognitions from HRSA as a top-quality leader and center for Excellence and has achieved Patient Center Medical Home recognition since 2017.  In 2022, BCHC received recognition as a Health Center Quality Leader, Access Enhancer, Health Disparities Reducer, and COVID-19 Public Health Champion.  

OTHER SERVICES

New Horizon Health Center (BCHC) is an FTCA deemed Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC). This health center receives HHS funding and has Federal Public Health Service (PHS) deemed status with respect to certain health or health-related claims, including medical malpractice claims, for itself and its covered individuals.